terça-feira, 15 de março de 2016

From Underground to Inner Space with The Interstellar Vessel - An Interview


Josh Hamill é o freak, lisérgico e chapado The Interstellar Vessel.

Apesar do formato one man band, ao degustar o segundo EP do The Interstellar Vessel a impressão que se tem ao final, além de sair completamente chapado sonoramente é que a experiência foi sim sob a aura de uma banda completa, tamanha intensidade das canções.

Conexões lógicas com Spacemen 3, BJM, 13th Floor Elevators soam banais, mas Josh cria uma atmosfera nem tão lisergicamente compulsiva e delirante nem tão flower power, o meio termo de From Underground to Inner Space nome dessa pérola da psicodelia moderna, deve ser degustada sem moderação e lá pelas tantas até Madchester tem no meio, uma viagem

Aviso, The Interstellar Vessel vicia.

***** Interview with The Interstellar Vessel *****


Q. When did The Interstellar Vessel start?
Tell us about the history... I started the project about 18 months ago. It came after the previous band I was in, 'DIG?', stopped playing live. I needed an outlet for the songs I was writing and I had no other band members to play live with. So i just started writing and recording until I eventually found my sound.

Q: Who are your influences?
My Influences come from many artists, such as Syd Barrett, Grateful Dead, 13th Floor Elevators, Spacemen 3, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive and even some early 90's hip-hop/rap! I also draw influence from concepts such as outter space, buddhism, philospophy and of course, life experience.

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
Its tough to narow it down to just 5. But it would defintely include;
- Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun
- The Psychedelic Sounds of The 13th Floor Elevators
- Brian Jonestown Massacre - Their Satanic Majesty's Second Request
- Spacemen 3 - Sound of Confusion.. or Perfect Prescription.. or any!
- Pink Floyd - Pipers At The Gates of Dawn

Q. How do you feel playing live?
I love it! It lets you express the music in ways you just can't when recording. Nothing beats the atmosphere of a good crowd or the connection between musicians on stage.

Q. How do you describe The Interstellar Vessel sounds?
I like to think you can hear the influences I draw on, yet it sounds like something unique. I think I use fairly standard song structures, but expand on sounds in ways that make the music interesting and my own.


Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
A lot of time goes in to trying to get things sounding right. My songs are usually written from one idea. A bass line, a synth line, a guitar riff. Then I jam around that and eventually, I have a song. Recording everything can take a day, a week, or a month. It really just depends if you're feeling it while you're doing it. I think that reflects heavily in the finished product aswell! I usually try to record and mix everthing myself and then get mastering done by a professional. This release was recorded with my mate Steve (The Planets Collide) at his home studio. He mixed it at his house, I did some stem mixing in my own studio and then sent it to Pete Maher for the final mastering process.

Q. Which new bands do you recommend?
The Planets Collide, Violet Swells, Base Varlet, Filthy Little Star, Teens

Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
The 13th Floor Elevators! I've been thinking about attempting a cover of Fire Engine recently Maybe something by Spacemen 3 or the BJM

Q: What are your plans for the future?
Keep writing songs! Hopefully I can get a bit of recognition and a following, after all, I want people to listen to my songs and hopefully enjoy them. There will be plenty of new material out over the next few months!

Q: Any parting words?
Thanks for reading! Hopefully you enjoy my music and can find some meaning in the songs!
Thanks, Josh Hamill
*
*
*
Thanks

https://theinterstellarvessel.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/theinterstellarvessel