sábado, 28 de março de 2015

Piano Works with heklAa. - An Interview


O francês Sébastien Touraton atende pela alcunha de heklAa. e acaba de lançar seu mais novo trabalho Pieace of You - The Piano Works, e como o nome sugere, o álbum é guiado por um piano exuberante criando sensações e imagens das mais diversas e imagináveis.

Das mais diversas sensação, o álbum pode lhe provocar, e vale ressaltar que não há como classificar ou simplesmente rotular o heklAa. Talvez o que mais possa chegar perto é que as peças poderia servir facilmente para trilhas sonoras.

Para momentos introspectivos,
***** Interview with heklAa. *****




Q. When did heklAa started, tell us about the history...
-heklAa started in 2010 after my second trip in Iceland, the most wonderful place on earth, as I was stuck on the island with wife and daughter because of (thanks to?) the eruption of the Eyjafjallajokull. It was an amazing experience that I had to turn into music. I started playing my own songs with my best friend Stéphane, then the solo project became a trio with a drum player. We played once live, it seems people enjoyed the show, but the band had to split just after that. I kept working on own stuffs with Stephane and finally I decided to spend some money for hardware and software and the project became a solo project again. The first EP ‘Songs in F’ that has been released in March 2013, deals with my two unforgettable trips in the beautiful Iceland.

Q: Who are your influences?
-I feel influenced by post-rock (Sigur Ros, the greatest band int the world (!), Godspeed, Silver Mount Zion, Do Make Say Think, Mogwai…), jazz (Keith Jarrett, E.S.T., Miles Davis, The Bad Plus,…) movie music (John Williams, Danny Elfman, Howard Shore).

Q. Make a list of 5 albuns of all time…
-1. Miles Davis, ‘Lift to the scaffold’
2. Sigur Ros, ‘Agaetis Byrjun’
3. Godspeed ‘Lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven’
4. Silver Mount Zion, "Born into trouble as the sparks flyupward"
5-Keith Jarrett, "La Scala"

Q. How do you feel playing live?
-I played just once live as heklAa, so in trio. And the experience was amazing. My label is working on gigs for the coming summer. I feel I can express much more live as on a CD. Every time I play piano, I do not have any idea of what I am going to play. I love the improvisation, I just feel free to express the mood and the feelings of the moment. Composing has always been something spontaneous and I will partly improvise in the coming gigs.

Q. How do you describe heklAa sounds?
-That is a good question and I have no clever answer, sorry! I just know that I want my Eps / albums to give every time something new. People should say ‘That is definitely heklAa’s music but we never heard that from him before’


Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
-I record, produce and mix my music all by myself, at home. This is a very quiet place even with my children playing around! I I can spend months on one song when I am not completely happy with my work, or a copple of hours for both composing and recording, for instance ‘I am a piece’; it was on an afternoon, I just sat on the piano and played the song all in one go.

Q. Which new bands do you recommended?
-Shipwrecks, Maven, Taur, Silent whale becomes a dream and many others…!

Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
-I am working on covers for Musicformessier and Release The Long Ships. Making a cover for a band like Godspeed would be just… I can’t find the words, sorry!

Q: What´s the plans for future....
-Several gigs in the Elsass, we are working on something with a wonderful post-rock band from Germany, but I can’t say more! ‘I am a piece of you’ will be featured in the soundtrack of a short-film. The album ‘Pieces of You – The Piano Works’ will be released on 20th March 2015 (CD and digital album), this is actually the volume 2. The volume 2 will be released (I hope) on quarter 3.

Q: Any parting words?
-Thank you for making the project grow !
*
*
*
Thanks

https://heklaa.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/S.Touraton